The Bunker (Series)

TheBunker

So yeah, I decided to start a "series" so to speak on my Youtube channel, entitled "The Bunker."  I originally wanted it to be the Nazi Germany version of The Office, but it took on a mind of its own during the creation of the initial five episodes (I've only uploaded three, as of this posting).  However, due to the recent discovery of a behind the scenes documentary for Downfall, I can begin to include "talking heads" like those featured in The Office.  

I'll admit that the first few videos aren't exactly of great quality, but they've improved as I've gotten the hang of iMovie.  Sadly, the "fading" subtitles are here to stay unless somebody knows something that I don't about iMovie.

Basically, here is the loose plot outline of the first five episodes so everyone has an idea of what exactly is going on.  A lot of the events in this series don't make a lot of sense, but whatever. 

Episode 1 (I'm Still Struggling)- In 2014, Adolf Hitler is celebrating the release of his new book, "I'm Still Struggling," by having the same run of the mill dinner that he has in every parody.  Whilst telling a joke, he is handed a review of his book by the New York Times' newest literary critic: Heinrich Himmler!  Himmler hammers Hitler's book, which sends Hitler into a fit of rage.  Jodl comes up with a plan to make sure that Hitler's next book is a hit, but Hitler turns the tables and objects to Jodl's plan!  Hitler informs Jodl that the plot of his next book will revolve around someone whose good intentions are continuously thwarted an envious, bald man.

Episode 2 (Fahrenheit Fegelein)- The episode begins with Hitler scolding Grawitz for messing around with Magda Goebbels.  Gunsche informs Hitler that, due to the horrendous reviews of his first book, his book deal has been dropped.  It is then revealed that this unnamed publishing company has given a book deal to Fegelein in order to replace Hitler.  Fearful of Fegelein writing a tell-all book (and exposing the existence of The Bunker in the process), Hitler orders Steiner to "f**k Fegelein up."  However, Jodl informs Adolf that Steiner left to become Obama's Secretary of Defense (yes, this was made months ago).  After deliberation, Hitler comes up with "Operation f**k Fegelein Up," which will be led by the aptly named "Steiner 2.0."  Mohnke interrupts the plotting of Fegelein's downfall to inform Hitler that he has received a phone call.  It turns out that Hitler hired a man with the last name of "Steiner," but not the man that he wanted.  Hitler promptly fires Steiner 2.0.

Episode 3 (Hitler's Secret Plan)Like Episode 2, Episode 3 opens up with Hitler once again scolding Grawitz.  Once again, Gunsche interrupts this scolding to inform Hitler that his literary agent (Albert Speer) has arrived at The Bunker to "discuss Fegelein's book."  Enraged at the fact that he's not the topic of discussion, Hitler tells Gunsche that he "wants out" of the Bunker.  With Speer, Hitler says that Fegelein's book and Fegelein himself will be dealt with.  He also mentions that he will one day retake Germany.  In the planning room, Krebs informs Hitler that Fegelein's book is near the top of most website's pre-order charts.  Hitler is confident that Steiner 3.0 will perform cyberattacks on these websites, but Jodl informs Adolf that Steiner 3.0 doesn't exist.  Enraged, Hitler rants before lamenting the loss of the Bunker to Seal Team Six and Barack Obama.  In the midst of this sadness, however, comes Hitler's greatest plan yet.

Episode 4 (The Man They Call Barack)- Adolf Hitler, once again Chancellor of Germany (through some unknown means that have yet to be disclosed) receives a "congratulatory" phone call from Barack Obama.  They exchange a war of words, which concludes with Hitler telling Barack that he hates him and will see him on the battlefield.  Hitler later meets up with Himmler, and proceeds to call him a "douchebag" for his negative review in the first episode.  Himmler claims that it was all done for political reasons and was nothing personal.  Hitler, claiming to be a "new man" and that he has "learned to forgive," forgives Himmler and welcomes him back.  Later, Hitler has Traudl type up not a declaration of war against the United States, but a declaration of war against Barack himself.  The episode concludes with a flashback of Hitler's days as a cop in Berlin.

Episode 5 (The Fuhrer's Speech)- This entire episode revolves around Hitler's plan to deliver his first public speech to the German people in decades.  Jodl objects, but Hitler refuses to yield an inch.  Later, Joseph Goebbels, clearly emotional at being awarded a second chance to be the Minister of Propaganda, approaches Traudl to type up his own address to the German people.  At the episode's conclusion, Hitler finally gets his chance to speak to the German people, but things don't exactly go according to plan.

Any advice, feedback, criticism, etc, is more than welcomed.

Hey. I had the same problem with the subtitles as you (using iMovie myself), but found another way. I got the old version of iMovie (yellow logo), which doesn't have fading subtitles, and made subtitles there. I made them on a green background, then exported that and used the green screen option on my version of iMovie (pre-Yosemite purple logo) to put in the subtitles on my video. I would've made the video just on the old iMovie itself, but it was too choppy. 

That's my way of getting around it. It's tedious, and adds on to the production time of parodies, but it's worth the time.

When I edit my parodies, I do all the effects in the latest iMovie, and all the subtitles in the old one.

To remove the fade in fade out from the old one, all you have to do is:

1. Double click the title itself, and a window should appear.

2. A section in the window should read "Fade in/Fade out" or something similar. Just adjust the slider to 0 and the fade effects should go away.

Hope this helps!