Important about the Unterganger Awards

WARNING: Long (but important) post! 2.png

Hey everyone! As you may know, I am the new maintainer of the UA (Unterganger Awards). This is something I have wanted for a very long time, and I'm happy to have the opportunity, thank you for giving me this trust!

I think it's sad that the contest has been "dying" lately, and it's also rather sad that the parody making is not what it once was. I would like to use this opportunity to suggest a few changes in the contest, but before I do, I want to point out that this is a democratic contest, so it's up to you to bring ideas/suggestions and to object to any ideas I put out there. Just write your objections/suggestions in this thread - I will read them all.

Now, here's what's gonna happen: I have made a deal with Stacy (HRP), and all winning parodies will be presented in a result video on his channel (and mine). Meaning all winners get promotion on his channel. I will make the result videos, maybe Stacy will make them too occasionally. It has also been decided that Soalric will be back-up maintainer, and Stacy will step in automatically and handle the contest if we are unable to do so at times. I will run the contest both on the old forum, and on Downfallparodies.net. Judges will be me, Stacy and Soalric.

Self-nominations?
I want to ask you how you feel about a few other changes I'm considering. Like, self-nominations. The main problem with the UA has been the lack of nominations, I doubt that will change. I think the reason behind this is that a lot of Untergangers simply do not watch that many parodies anymore, and also tend to forget to vote. Another reason is rather dark but could possibly be true; it isn't as important to people to nominate others, there is very little personal gain in it. So all these factors lead to very few nominations.

So, I'm thinking about allowing people to nominate their own parodies, and to remove the shame around it. I would rather have a very active contest, full of entries (maybe people would also be a little more motivated to make quality parodies, hoping they could win, which means more parodies = more active meme), than to keep the current system and get maybe one or two nominations per month. However, no self-nominations for "Unterganger of the month". Obviously it should also be possible to nominate others as well, just like now, but to add the ability to nominate your own parodies too. Mainly I think it's important to remove the shame around self-nominations in that case, a lot of people would feel ashamed to do so, I want it to feel like submitting an entry to a contest, just like you would with any contest.

Some may say that this would lead to a clusterf**k; but again, I prefer a clusterf**k over next to zero activity. But you know, this is a community, it's about having fun, we shouldn't take it too seriously, and having lots of entries means more activity. It's also a chance for everyone to join the contest. As it is now, only a handful of Untergangers watch each others work and nominate each other. Self-nominations opens the door to any person who makes parodies to get a chance to be discovered. And since the winners are announced on Stacy's channel, it basically means that any Unterganger has a chance to get promoted and get more views + subs. Of course I don't know if it would change anything, maybe there still wouldn't be many nominations.

In order to avoid crappy parodies winning, we can have a team of judges if you wish, we can have criteria, rules and so on - meaning that in order for a parody to win, it must qualify. This would make sure that there is a certain quality in the winning parodies. If so - suggest what kind of criteria you wish to see.

But, like I said in the start; this is a democratic contest. Let me know how you feel about these suggestions, and if you have any ideas - write them down! 1.png

Update
How about that if you wanna nominate your own parody, you must also nominate at least one other by somebody else? (Not necessarily in the same category). Let's say you wanna nominate your series, then maybe you can nominate someone else's parody for "Most innovative" for example. This would mean that people would still have some "pressure" on them to nominate others work as well 2.png

May, June & July
During July I will create a new system (or keep the old one, depending on how people respond), but in the meantime I will open another thread so you can vote for parodies uploaded in May, June and July (since Ben didn't finish May/June, so to say). On the 31st of July, I will close the voting, and upload a result video shortly after on both mine and Stacy's channel. On the 1st of August I will open a new thread; but then according to the new rules (if any).

So during July all will continue as usual. Remember that May/June-parodies can also be nominated, and all current votes from the May-thread will also be counted.

Last but not least, I would like you all to answer these questions; what would make YOU nominate more parodies? What does it take for YOU to be more interested in the contest? And; what changes would you like to see?

Do make sure to read here s1.zetaboards.com/downfallparodies/topic/5525970/1/ to see what people say on the other forum too.

Just had a thought; how about that if you wanna nominate your own parody, you must also nominate at least one other by somebody else? (Not necessarily in the same category). Let's say you wanna nominate your series, then maybe you can nominate someone else's parody for "Most innovative" for example. This would mean that people would still have some "pressure" on them to nominate others work as well ;)

Just had a thought; how about that if you wanna nominate your own parody, you must also nominate at least one other by somebody else? (Not necessarily in the same category). Let's say you wanna nominate your series, then maybe you can nominate someone else's parody for "Most innovative" for example. This would mean that people would still have some "pressure" on them to nominate others work as well ;)

In other words, you can't just nominate your own, without nominating others. :D

• 9 months later...